Transient Lodging

Transient lodging is the technical term for any type of nightly rental. Any establishment that receives payment in any form of exchange (including trade) for the use of any lodging or dwelling for periods of 30 consecutive days or less is considered transient lodging. This includes: hotels, motels, inns, vacation rentals, short term rentals, bed and breakfasts, hostels, home hosting, home exchanges, and others.

New transient lodging is only allowed in the "Transient Lodging Overlay Zone" or TLO. In order to place a property in the TLO a person needs to make an application for a zone map amendment (or zone change).

Applications for the TLO are only accepted for properties that are already in either the Central Commercial (CC) or Village Commercial (VC) zone. The Town will not accept applications for the TLO on properties that are not in either the CC or VC zone.

Applications for the TLO may be submitted between March 1 and March 31 during each even numbered calendar year (i.e. 2022, 2024, 2026, etc.). We strongly encourage applicants to meet with Community Development Department staff prior to making an application for the TLO. You can schedule a meeting with staff by calling 435-522-4130.

Below is a link to the Springdale Town Code that lists all of the criteria and requirements for TLO zone change applications. There are additional links to the Town's current zone map. This can assist in determining which properties are currently in either the CC or VC zone, and are thus eligible to apply for the TLO.

Springdale Transient Lodging Overlay Zone 

Town of Springdale Zoning Map

Zone Map Amendment Application